Applying to College
Steps & the Process to Apply to College at Las Lomas
1. Create a College List in Naviance Under "Colleges I am Applying to" Types of Applications do you could have:
- UC Applications/ CSU Applications/ Out of State Applications =Direct Application /Common Application/ Coalition Application/
- what are the due dates for each school?
- How and when will you apply? The most common are Early Action=Nov 1, or Regular Decision= Dec/January. Select an option
2. Fill out the SENIOR CHECKLIST for your Counselor the colleges should match your Naviance Account colleges.
- Email them and ask for an appointment after your checklist is completed. All Seniors should turn this form in by Oct 1.
3. For each application will you need a Letter of Recommendation? General Rule: All Common App schools need one.
- if LOR is you needed personally ask a teacher.
- Go to the Naviance section "Letter of Recommendation" at the bottom of the page under the tab "Colleges I am applying to" click that
- Using the drop down menu select your teacher, then click the schools you would like an LOR for. Submit this
- Go to the ABOUT ME tab, Click Surveys, click survey NOT STARTED, fillout Senior Brag Sheet, Parents fillout brag sheet, & Teacher LOR Rec forms
4. If you are applying to just UCs and CSUs follow these steps;
- Again make sure those colleges are listed in Naviance. All applications can be submitted between 11/1 -until 11/30.
- Google "UC apply now" & CSU apply now. Open these links, create an account, write down remember your passwords.
- Fill out those applications, to fill out the application you need a copy of your grades, go to Aeries
- you do not need a letter of recommendation from a teacher
- you do not send a transcript from Las Lomas
- you must send your test scores from the ACT or SAT to just 1 UC and to just 1 CSU. They will share your scores with the other institutions.
- For UCs you will write 4 short essays (length 350 words) these are called the Personal Insight Questions (PIQs)
- For CSUs NO essay questions.
5. If you are applying to the Common Application Colleges
- Google "Common App" create an account, using the college search tab , enter the college. Fill out all the information needed in the Common App
- Write a 650 word essay about yourself. Inaddition, you may need to write a supplemental essay
- Go to back to step 3 ( above )and make sure you have asked a teacher for an LOR
- Waive your FERPA rights and then match your account under Naviance
- Order your test scores to be sent to the colleges, you do not need to send AP scores
- On Naviance order your initial transcript to be sent to the colleges. Then pay for it on the Las Lomas Webstore $5.00 per transcript per school.
6. Fill out the FAFSA which opens Oct 1