Welcome to the College and Career Website at Las Lomas! We have an exciting year coming up while finding some normalcy again. The process of applying to college requires planning and access to the most recent information. We are here as your go-to resource for the college process and post-secondary planning outside of college. Please explore this website for resources.
In addition to college planning and career exploration, we are your resource for scholarships, college representative visits, college application workshops, career assessments, college planning materials, test preparation and part-time jobs/summer opportunities.
• CADAA/Cal Grant Priority Deadline Extended California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) has extended the deadline for the Cal Grant and California Dream Act (CADAA) programs to April 1, 2022. That means students have more time to complete and submit their financial aid applications and ensure that they secure state funding for their college education.
• Upcoming changes to FAFSA In December, Congress passed a massive legislative package that included emergency pandemic relief measures, funding for the federal government, and a number of policy changes related to higher education. Notably, the bill included provisions to overhaul the financial aid application process and expand Pell Grant eligibility. Most of the bill’s provisions go into effect on July 1, 2023 (for financial aid award year 2023-24). The updated FAFSA will be available starting on October 1, 2022. Click here or here to learn how it affects the 2023-24 FAFSA cycle.
• UC Berkeley Admissions Thousands of prospective UC Berkeley students were told that they might not get to attend the university in the coming academic year, following a court decision ordering the university to maintain enrollment at 2020-21 levels. Read the article here.
*The college/career center and the health/wellness center have swapped locations. The health/wellness center is now next to the library, and the CCC is next door to the counseling office*
✧･ﾟ: * HIGHLIGHTED EVENT *:･ﾟ✧
We're excited to be partnering with College Essay Guy this year to offer you a number of awesome college application resources and virtual workshops.
Las Lomas students can join any or all of the live online courses listed below:
- Personal Statement Boot Camp (May 30th-June 3rd)
- Personal Statement Boot Camp (June 13th-June 17th)
- Personal Statement Boot Camp (August 1st-August 5th)
- The College Application + Supplemental Essays Boot Camp (July 11th-July 15th)
- How to Answer the UC Personal Insight Questions Boot Camp (August 15th-August 19th)
Here’s how to register:
- Go to this registration page.
- Enter your name and email.
- Decide which workshops you’d like to join for.
- You’re done! Put the dates and time in your calendar, and keep an eye on your email with next steps and instructions for the assignments to complete and how to join the live events.
Quick info on College Essay Guy:
- Ethan wrote the current bestselling book on the personal statement, College Essay Essentials (which is available to check out at the College & Career Center!)
- He’s well-regarded in the college admissions field and is considered one of the go-to resources on college essays
- His website has hundreds of free resources for applying to college
- He has a cool podcast!
Can’t make the live course dates? You’ll have access to the courses through the end of the year, and recordings of the sessions will be available to all who sign up.