Who is Referred to SARB?
Students who have excessive absences caused by the student's and/or parent's actions which have not improved through school and community efforts.
The SARB actions may include:
- Directing the student to attend school regularly without unexcused absences or tardies.
- Requesting doctor's notes for excessive absences.
- Referring the student for assessment by a school Student Study Team (SST).
- Referring the student to their school guidance counselor or school intervention specialist.
- Recommending necessary changes in a student's program.
- Recommending student and/or family to a counseling agency.
- Recommending parenting classes for parents.
- Facilitating a student's transfer to an alternative school or program when necessary.
- Requesting assistance from other Contra Costa County agencies and programs when needed.
- Helping students and parents understand why they must attend school (California Education Code Section 48200) and that there are consequences for failure to comply.
- Sending a referral to the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office.
- Filing a court petition with the Contra Costa County Juvenile Court.