• Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
    Where are the classes held?
    Acalanes Adult Education (AAE) is located at the Del Valle Education Center, 1963 Tice Valley Blvd in Walnut Creek, adjacent to Rossmoor. All classes on the schedule are at Del Valle Education Center except those specifically noted as being elsewhere. Most classes will be held in the 100  Building, 300 Building and the 400 Building.   Fitness classes are held in rooms 303 and 304 in the 300 Building. When classes are given at satellite locations, the address is given in the class schedule.
    How can I prove I took a course at Acalanes Adult Education?
    Upon request, a certificate of hours attended will be provided. When the class is a part of the Adult Secondary Education Program, a transcript showing units and grades earned can be provided. Requests for attendance verification need to be made within one year of the class.
    Are textbooks used?
    Adult Secondary Education classes may use texts that the student is responsible to purchase.  Most ESL classes use texts which are in the classroom. Many world language classes, and a few other classes such as computers, have texts. The teacher will provide the information on what texts will be used at the first class. AAE may order some texts for students to purchase. It is strongly recommended that texts not be purchased until after attending the first class to verify both that the class is appropriate and how much the teacher plans to use the text. There are no refunds for texts purchased.

    Why are there so many personal questions on the registration form?
    Acalanes Adult Education receives state support for some of its classes. The State of California requires the data requested on the students attending these classes. The State looks at the data in total, not individually, to understand what types of students attend adult education classes in California as a whole.
    Is Acalanes Adult Education accredited?
    Acalanes Adult Education is approved by the California Department of Education and complies with its rules and regulations. It is not accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. All adult schools in California are administered through the K-12 program.
    How do I enroll in an ESL class?
    Students need to be 18 years of age to attend ESL classes. To register for a class the student needs to take an assessment test which is offered on Del Valle campus, at 1963 Tice Valley Blvd., Walnut Creek. To confirm the testing and class schedule see the ESL page on this website or call the office. After the test, the staff will discuss the placement and assign the student to an appropriate class.
    Why do ESL students have to take tests?
    There are two reasons that students taking ESL classes are required to take tests. First, the tests give the staff and the student a good idea of the appropriate level of class for the student to take. Second, testing is a way that AAE demonstrates accountability for the quality of instruction to the California Department of Education. This is required because the State funds a portion of the ESL program.  AAE greatly appreciates an ESL student notification when leaving so that the exit test can be administered. AAE receives some additional funding when the student progress can be documented with an exit examination.
    Where do I register for classes?
    Register online at:  www.acalanes.k12.ca.us/adultedonlineregistration or at Acalanes Adult Education, 1963 Tice Valley Blvd. Walnut Creek, in the Main Office of the 100 Building.  The phone number is 925-280-3980 Ext 8001 and the fax is 925-280-3981. 
    Refund Policy
    All requests for refunds must be made in writing (email accepted). Class fees will NOT be refunded for any reason if written request is more than three business days after the start of class. Any refund requested will be subject to a $25 service charge. If a class is cancelled by AAE for any reason, a full refund will be made.
    Parking is available in the front and rear of the school.  The front parking lot is to the right as one comes up the hill and the rear parking is in front of the 300 Building.
    I took the GED test several years ago at Acalanes Adult Education. How do I get proof of the results?
    Persons who acquired a GED certificate from tests given at Acalanes Adult Education prior to 2003 and need a duplicate copy of the results can obtain a transcript or a new certificate from the GED/ETS Records Center go to:  


    Can I take the GED at Acalanes Adult Education?

    Acalanes Adult Education no longer administers the official test but offers a class in the Learning Lab to prepare one to take the test. This can include practice taking sample tests. The Learning Lab instructor can direct students to Centers where the test is given. GED web site: http://www.gedtestingservice.com/ged-testing-service

    Are parenting classes qualified to meet court ordered classes for parents?
    Acalanes Adult Education appears on many court lists as an accepted resource for parenting classes. All of the Acalanes class descriptions and their schedules are on this web site under parent education. It is recommended that the student show the information to the appropriate court or organization and get prior approval to take the specific class. Acalanes Adult Education will provide a certificate of attendance upon request.