• Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

    Where are the classes held?

    Acalanes Adult Education (AAE) is located at the Del Valle Education Center, 1963 Tice Valley Blvd in Walnut Creek, adjacent to Rossmoor. All classes on the schedule are at Del Valle Education Center except those specifically noted as being elsewhere. Most classes will be held in the 100  Building, 300 Building and the 400 Building.   Fitness classes are held in rooms 303 and 304 in the 300 Building. When classes are given at satellite locations, the address is given in the class schedule.

    How can I prove I took a course at Acalanes Adult Education?

    Upon request, a certificate of hours attended will be provided. When the class is a part of the Adult Secondary Education Program, a transcript showing units and grades earned can be provided. Requests for attendance verification need to be made within one year of the class.

    Are textbooks used?

    Adult Secondary Education classes may use texts that the student is responsible to purchase.  Most ESL classes use texts which are in the classroom. Many world language classes, and a few other classes such as computers, have texts. The teacher will provide the information on what texts will be used at the first class. AAE may order some texts for students to purchase. It is strongly recommended that texts not be purchased until after attending the first class to verify both that the class is appropriate and how much the teacher plans to use the text. There are no refunds for texts purchased.

    Why are there so many personal questions on the registration form?

    Acalanes Adult Education receives state support for some of its classes. The State of California requires the data requested on the students attending these classes. The State looks at the data in total, not individually, to understand what types of students attend adult education classes in California as a whole.

    Is Acalanes Adult Education accredited?

    Acalanes Adult Education is approved by the California Department of Education and complies with its rules and regulations. It is not accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. All adult schools in California are administered through the K-12 program.

    How do I enroll in an ESL class?

    Students need to be 18 years of age to attend ESL classes. To register for a class the student needs to take an assessment test which is offered on Del Valle campus, at 1963 Tice Valley Blvd., Walnut Creek. To confirm the testing and class schedule see the ESL page on this website or call the office. After the test, the staff will discuss the placement and assign the student to an appropriate class.

    Why do ESL students have to take tests?

    There are two reasons that students taking ESL classes are required to take tests. First, the tests give the staff and the student a good idea of the appropriate level of class for the student to take. Second, testing is a way that AAE demonstrates accountability for the quality of instruction to the California Department of Education. This is required because the State funds a portion of the ESL program.  AAE greatly appreciates an ESL student notification when leaving so that the exit test can be administered. AAE receives some additional funding when the student progress can be documented with an exit examination.

    Where do I register for classes?

    Register online at:  www.acalanes.k12.ca.us/adultedonlineregistration or at Acalanes Adult Education, 1963 Tice Valley Blvd. Walnut Creek, in the Main Office of the 100 Building.  The phone number is 925-280-3980 Ext 8001 and the fax is 925-280-3981. 

    Refund Policy

    Please visit auhsd.org/refund for our most current refund policy.

    GED at Acalanes Adult Education and Retrieving Results

    Please visit auhsd.org/ged for details on GED and high school equivalency exams.


    Parking is available throughout the campus.