• Financial Aid
    If you are assessing your financial aid package here is a great article to begin understanding what it all means:
    If the aid you have received still doesn't meet your needs for the college you want to attend, it may be worth writing an appeal letter.  Here are a few articles with a step by step guide to a solid appeal letter:
    Navigating the Financial Aid and merit-based aid application process can feel overwhelming but it’s a worthwhile investment of your time. Your student may be eligible for more than you think. Here’s a quick rundown to help better understand the process.

    Sources of Financial Aid:

    • Federal
    • State
    • Colleges & Universities
    • Private Organizations 
    Types of Financial Aid:
    • Grants
    • Scholarships
    • Work-study jobs
    • Loans 


    The three main ways to help finance your child's college degree are:


    1.   FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

    • Completing the FAFSA makes your student eligible to receive aid from federal, state, and college sources. You will use 2015 tax returns.
    • Public & private colleges accept the FAFSA.
    • File the FAFSA from October 1 - March 2. Apply early to receive the best aid.
    • Request to have your FAFSA sent to the colleges to which your student is applying. 

    2) College and University Scholarships & Merit-based Aid

    • Check each school’s website for details about how and when to apply.
    • Automatic Consideration: Some schools provide students with aid automatically when they apply and meet certain criteria. Many west coast public schools participate in WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange) which provides steep reductions in tuition.
    • Additional Aid Application: About 400 private colleges and universities ask students to submit the CSS/ Financial Aid PROFILE.

    3) Private scholarships